Sunday, June 19, 2005

Slightly Nervous in Ogden

The Standard-Examiner's front page was a real eye-popper this morning, with this magnificent aerial photo of Ogden's Lindquist Field. It's the best shot I've seen yet of that quirky little zig-zag out in center-field, which was designed to accommodate the commercial building at the northwest corner of the ballpark. And it provides a vivid graphic demonstration of the creativity of the people who worked together in the planning, designing, and financing which resulted in squeezing such a sweet little sports facility into such a relatively tiny piece of downtown Ogden real estate.

The photo graphic neatly merges into an article under the byline of John Wright, the Std-Ex's newest reporter. Although I've read another John Wright story or two on the Std-Ex "back pages" within the last few days, I believe this story is Mr. Wright's front page debut. If this is any example of Mr. Wright's work, I think we're all going to appreciate his further and future reporting, as he familiarizes himself with the issues and politics or our beloved Ogden city.

The article is essentially a historical piece, although it also has a strong government-subsidy pro-development undertone, as should be expected of any Standard-Examiner story, of course. There's also a pithy Bill Parker quote that really sets the tone for this article, and I just couldn't bring myself to leave it out of this post:

"You should have seen that area over in there. It looked like crap," Parker said of the site of the old Ogden Iron Works, northeast of 24th Street and Lincoln Avenue, where the stadium sits. "Without that ballpark, I really don't think any of that other stuff would have taken off like it has."
All in all, it's a well-written and interesting article, however; and if you somehow missed the hard-copy version, you can read it online here.

One particular detail in the article caught my special attention. According to Ogden City Comptroller, The Raptors ballclub pays a $70,000 annual lease payment for the ballpark. While I don't know much about professional baseball economics, I'd assume that's a fairly easy "nut" to crack, for a ballteam that draws 3,719 fans to the ballpark, on average, during its 36-game home-stands, at an average ticket price of, say, $4.50 per fan. This assumption doesn't take into account, of course, the fairly high operational expenses that a "travelling" ballclub like the Raptors must certainly bear. Still, it would seem that there's an obvious "commercial reality" in the Raptors' situation.

Having read this information, I couldn't help thinking of the latest Ogden City sports complex project, the Downtown Hi-Tech Recreation Center. Although the publicly-reported numbers are still a little fuzzy, it has been reported that the co-partnership between Fat Cats and Gold's will be on the hook for between $60,000 and $80,000 per month.

Don't get me wrong. I'll go on record as saying that I'm in favor of proceeding with this project, now that it's reached the final planning stages, after years of public input and planning. The real tipping point for me was a series of conversations I've had with both of the lessee principals, David Rutter and Gary Nielsen. They've both assured me privately that they're eager to proceed with the project, that they believe the project to be economically viable, and that they expect to make serious money through their joint venture in the years ahead. I'm all for letting these two individuals proceed.

Is the Fat Cat's/Gold's business plan viable? Is it based on commercial reality? Will their optimistic business plan survive the harsh underwriting standards of the bond underwriter and the Wells Fargo Bank -- who wlll be ultimately "standing by" with its letter of credit? Will the downtown sports complex experience the same sort of public acceptance and success as have our Ogden Raptors?

We'll know the answers to these questions very soon, I'm sure. But I'm still slightly nervous now, I'll admit. Let's just say that I'm experiencing the same "gut sensation" that I get when I'm standing at the "craps" tables in Wendover with a pair of "bones" clutched in my fist.

Comments, anyone?

9 comments:

faithanddustin said...

This is just me thinking out loud, but this forum seems to be a place where you won't get crucified for asking questions or thinking out loud. I know it is much less expensive, but isn't Lindquist Field a past example of doing exactly what the city is doing with the rec. center? I believe I remember that the citizens voted on the stadium, but, if I am thinking straight, the fact still remains that the stadium is a success story of the city putting up money for a place that they own for a private business to operate.

Again, I know it is much less money than the rec. center, but isn't it a similar example? Or am I totally off base and don't remember correctly?

faithanddustin said...

Mr. Glasmann and others, I am just going to play a little devil's advocate here for a minute so don't take this as any disrespect. Couldn't we maybe be saying in a few years, "Each year the crowds grow and the (new mall ventures) are now a proven and solvent enterprise, not to mention they're being a terrific entertainer and a draw to downtown Ogden? That is the formula for success, not protest." I guess I would say in an analytical sense that we don't know yet if it will work, just as we didn't know for sure that the Raptors would work. Of course, we had a better idea because the Raptors were playing in town for a number of years before they got their stadium. However, on the other hand, Gold's Gym has been around in a successful state for some time now and Fat Cats has been operating for a number of years with quite a bit of success.

I also am not exactly sure, but I remember reading that they (Fat Cats/Golds) are taking care for some or all of the infrastructure on the inside of the building; but don't take that as doctrine, because I am not completely sure.

Also, what would the park cost today? It is a mostly steel structure, which is outrageously expensive today. I mean to say that sure their payment is much less than that of the potential rec. center, but how much would their payment increase if current land values, construction costs, etc. were taken into account?

Anonymous said...

Been reading with interest the debate between Glasmann and utmormon. I agree with Glasmann, what is it that utmormon is asking? The price of steel today? So what. The ball park is in place. Infrastructure? What is that? The plumbing? The wiring? Does utmormon really think that Fat Katz and Golds Gym are paying for that? The city is paying for everything, including equipment.
The Raptors were a proven business, long before they moved downtown. From all that I read, Golds Gym and Fat Katz are financially in the dumps.
But still, after all is said and done, what utmormon, are you talking about and comparing? I think you're way off base, pardon the pun!

faithanddustin said...

Sorry about the poor explanation. I think that when I wrote that post there was too much information going through my head to be able to type and make sense. Let me see if I can clarify just a little:


"One particular detail in the article caught my special attention. According to Ogden City Comptroller, The Raptors ballclub pays a $70,000 annual lease payment for the ballpark. While I don't know much about professional baseball economics, I'd assume that's a fairly easy "nut" to crack, for a ballteam that draws 3,719 fans to the ballpark, on average, during its 36-game home-stands, at an average ticket price of, say, $4.50 per fan. This assumption doesn't take into account, of course, the fairly high operational expenses that a "travelling" ballclub like the Raptors must certainly bear. Still, it would seem that there's an obvious "commercial reality" in the Raptors' situation.

Having read this information, I couldn't help thinking of the latest Ogden City sports complex project, the Downtown Hi-Tech Recreation Center. Although the publicly-reported numbers are still a little fuzzy, it has been reported that the co-partnership between Fat Cats and Gold's will be on the hook for between $60,000 and $80,000 per month."

What I was thinking here was that the stadium was built in 1996, and since then there has been a very significant rise in construction costs, particularly steel. Much of our steel is shipped to China at this time and has made the cost of steel in America just skyrocket. I was pondering about how much that stadium would have cost to build in today's money taking into account things like inflation and high construction costs. I was trying to think of that because of rudi's comment that the Raptors only pay $70,000 a year for a lease and the new rec. center tenants will pay $60,000-$80,000 per month. In the end, I was trying to figure out how much the Raptor's would be paying if the stadium were built today to see how it would compare to the cost of the rec. center.

I know that's a lot of thoughts for one instance, so that may have contributed to the murky nature of the post. Is that clear enough? Any other poorly made points that need to be clarified?

Anonymous said...

Utmormon, we haven't read much in posted reply to Glasmann's reply. A fine back and forth volley, like Wimbledon in its way. I'm still trying to understand where you are going with your side of the debate. Maybe it's the risk factor, the old, "if the Raptor's can do it, the rec. center can do it; or "would the Raptor's do it now, what with several years of inflation and increased costs?

The answer is, of course the Raptors would. They have a proven track record, far beyond that of Gold's Gym and Fat Cats who have only two fun centers, both out of town, and they have an august body of owners and backers which the two entities the City has chosen for the rec center pales by comparison.

Anyway, Utmormon, enough. Time to move on. Go out and show your support by enjoying a game. Maybe that Vik character could go with you and get a life.

Anonymous said...

Hey Vik----did you get to the game last night or just lay back contemplating the effects of oxycontin?

Raptors won, by the way, 5-1!

Anonymous said...

Oxycoten is a lot cheaper and easier to use than this raptor bull shit your selling. Both have the same effect, both are opiates for the masses, both are legal in the land of Oz, both will numb your senses, both cost way more than they should...

Anonymous said...

I tend to subscribe to the theory I have heard several times in Ogden about the little "zig zag" as you call it in the fence at the ball park.

The theory says it is more properly defined as a "crooked" fence in honor of our city fathers and the way they operate. It was originaly meant by them to be an inside joke, but they are so out of touch with the people and how they are viewed that it never occured to them that this association would be made by many of the huddled masses when seen in the air view.

Anonymous said...

So Vik, you know the price of Oxycontin. Doesn't surprise me. I'll pay the 5 buck for a baseball ticket and have a nice, enjoyable evening. If you don't stop with this non-sensical drivel of yours, though, we might all be forced to take some soothing medication, just to keep from screaming! Like I said, catch a game and relax.

© 2005 - 2014 Weber County Forum™ -- All Rights Reserved