Thursday, August 25, 2005

An Invitation to All Ogden City Council Candidates

As most Ogden City Council candidates know, I've been dialing out since the Ogden City filing deadline, to recruit all non-incumbent candidates to contribute campaign information to Weber County Forum.

Against my better judgment (because it entails a lot of work), I've decided to provide separate web pages to each and every candidate (including any incumbent) who's running for an Ogden City Council seat, right here on this blog.

I've spoken to most of the contenders; and most of them have agreed to participate here. There are one or two who don't even have an email address. To those people, I just say "good luck." Not having an email address is the pretty much the same thing as not having a telephone in the early part of the twenty-first-century, I think.

I've sent out an email to all the council candidates whose email addys I've been able to identify up through today. If you know of a council candidate whom you support, and I may have left out... please tell him/her about this invitation. Believe me... I've been tryin'...

What I'll be looking for is an initial "campaign statement," i.e, Why you're running for a council seat. Biographical info will be helpful too, as well as anything else that belongs in an initial campaign brochure.

A little bit later I'll be submitting a campaign questionare, asking where each candidate stands on the important Ogden City issues.

I'm planning to set up individual web pages, and get the whole thing rolling around Saturday, September 3.

Submit your info, people. For those candidates who don't have their own website, it'll give you "web presence."

For those who are a little more web-sophisticated, I'll be happy to link your campaign website from your own blogger.com page.

The whole purpose of this is to get the word out for your candidacy, people. Experience dictates that the Standard-Examimer won't even seriously report that there's a municipal election going on...until after the primary race is over.

Submit your stuff to Weber County Forum email

Update 8/27/05 3:46 p.m. M/T.: One good way to provide your campaign statements, folks, is to include your text within your return email via "rich text" format. The next best manner of submission is to include "rich formatted" text files as attachments. Although my own software can read at least eight different versions of "MS word format," I've already run into a situation where one candidate's info is unreadable because of its oddball Microsoft formatting.

The second-easiest way to submit your text is in pure "text" (ascii) format. If you have graphics or images you'd like to include, please send your image files separately via "attachments." Once your data has been submitted, I'll send you sample "proofs" before I publish next Saturday.

If your word processor has the ability to save your file in "html," (Hyper Text Markup Language,) that's the easiest and best of all. That way I can just copy and paste all your data to your own WCF webpage, embedded graphics images and all.

This is what I meant when I said that doing this is a "pain in the keister." Most word-processing programs don't translate directly to HTML web-format. Some "word processor output can't even be read, in spite of the fact that I have robust sofware that can read many of the "tower of babel" word-processor versions that many people use.

Thanks for your patience, candidates. It'll all be worth the trouble once your statements are submitted and posted, I'm sure.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great idea, Rudy. Ican't tell you how many times I've wound up standing in the voting booth, not knowing word one about half the candidates on the ballot.

I'll be following this closely.

y-intercept said...

Shameless plug:

If any local candidates have web sites. I would appreciate their adding their web sites to iOgden.com. This is an open directory that allows anyone to add links. Please, Ogden links only. I delete links that are not related to Ogden.

PS, you don't have to be the owner of a site to add it. If you know a candidate, please just add their site and save them the hassle.

Anonymous said...

All the incumbents....OUT!

Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to position statements and some comments about qualifications, plans if elected, et al. This is one hell of an important election, the very futre of this city rest on the shoulders of those in office. The task will be immense and we must trust our leaders to dig us out of this lousy, oil filled hole that the current Administration and Council have put us in.

Dollars are flying out the window; revenue streams have dried up; legal matters are impeding any progress; communication sucks big time, to borrow a politically improper phrase; and a mailse reminiscent of the stench of deterioration has covered the town. Our once vibrant community is holding on by its fingernails, and they're beginning to crack.

Somebody needs to rise above the fray, with sensible ideas on how to fix that's which is broken and what to do about new projects that might help the city to rebound.

Get out the vote; help the people who are immobile to register; call your friends; lend a hand; call a candidate and schedule a "cottage meeting." You. the reader, can get involved, right here, right now. This is a serious one, as the gloom of my picture can attest.

And remember, if you don't vote, you have absolutely NO business complaing. Let's make this the largest Primary turnout in Ogden's history. The numbers at the polls will show if we, the people, really do care.

Anonymous said...

Rudi, I hope you have received some comments and statements from the candidates. Looking forward to reading them, as I to have gone into the polling booth with no idea of what they stand for. Probably voted for Godfrey the first time around (voted for Garcia after I saw the way this guy did his job, though) due to that. I remember voting for Amy Wicks as the loss of the one woman on board, Mary Hall, was a disaster for our city.

Anyway, I hope the candidates have as much energy for some real issues as the incumbents have for the ferret. If the City Council spent the time and energy on the Rec Center, Union Square, Marshall White, the Riverwalk, the Union Depot, and WalMart, as they are doing on the ferret, maybe the town would be in better shape. It is interesting, and I support vacating this ferret ordinance which should be a finger snap, how this issue has gotten the attention it has from the media and the council members yet all we get about the rec center, et al, is basically a white wash and toothless explanations about the many delays.

Ah, City Government....who out there can come along and prosecute the duties in the way they should be?

Anonymous said...

Rudizink....where's the BEEF?

Post a Comment

© 2005 - 2014 Weber County Forum™ -- All Rights Reserved