Monday, September 17, 2012

Salt Lake Tribune: Many in Ogden Still Dream of Streetcar Connection

Isn't it time for Ogden Streetcar advocates to began needling the City Council and the Caldwell administration to get the stalled Ogden Streetcar Project back on track?

After nearly an eight-month lull, Ogden City Street Car proponents will be interested to read yesterday's Cathy McKitrick story from the Salt Lake Tribune, which brings the proposed Ogden Streetcar Project back to the public discussion forefront:
Now that the single greatest local political obstacle to this project has been removed from the political mix, isn't it time for Ogden streetcar advocates to began needling the the City Council and the Caldwell administration to get this stalled project back on track?

Here's the Ogden City government contact link, folks, for those who'd like to take immediate action:
The floor's also open for those who'd like to throw in their own 2¢.

7 comments:

rudizink said...

Encouraging missive from Ogden Streetcar advocate Shalae Larsen via Facebook:

"Not to worry...We're on it! At this point we need to put pressure on the county and the WACOG to fund a large portion of the local match from the sales tax that we passed back in 2008. There would be more than enough funds to pay for streetcar if the county would stop wasting is on rural roads that subsidize sprawl."

OneWhoKnows2 said...

Ogden got rid of streetcars in the early 1900's.  Ogden got rid of passenger trains in the late 70's.  Ogden does not need to repeat ideas that were not successfully profitable.  Do we really think a city of 80,000 should have light rail system and the costs that go with that?  Obviously Ms. Larsen, you've never built a train nor a road, but you've probably riden on them.  Get real.

OgdenBoy said...

I'll tell you'ze What, OWK.  I'm, glad that I live in Ogden, and not out in the South Ogden boondocks like you. 

When the cheap oil runs out, I"ll still be able to saddle my horse (which I'll  feed in the back yard) down to the KOKOMO.

OgdenBoy said...

 I'll tell you'ze What, OWK.  I'm, glad that I live in Ogden, and not out in the South Ogden boondocks like you. 

When the cheap oil runs out, I"ll still be able to saddle my horse
(which I'll  feed in the back yard) and ride down to the KOKOMO

OgdenBoy said...

I'll tell you'ze What, OWK.  I'm, glad that I live in Ogden, and not out in the South Ogden boondocks like you. 

When the cheap oil runs out, I"ll still be able to saddle my horse (which I'll  feed in the back yard) and ride down to the KOKOMO, any time I want!
 

OneWhoKnows2 said...

Hey partner, as long as you don't take the train that doesn't come way out here and ride your pony instead,  I'll meet you at the old watering hole and buy you a cool one!
AKA .....Norm Petersen

PR said...

The trouble with any public transportation system these days is if you charge enough to keep it solvent, it will be cheaper for people to drive their cars. There is some support for the lack of traffic idea, but you have to give people a reason to ride alternative transit systems. Cities should commit to almost a free transit system and recover the costs through advertisements and increases in other taxes to fund it.  If the object is to reduce the cars and pollution and to stimulate more participation through our business district, it can be done. 

Another suggestion is to put the main transit system on Harrison, Washington, and Wall streets and have feeder buses every fifth street or so (20th, 25th, 30th, 35th, etc.) to bring the public to those main streets to ride.  

Post a Comment

© 2005 - 2014 Weber County Forum™ -- All Rights Reserved