Nearly 10 months since the original 1/4/12 Ogden City shootout, the long awaited Matthew Stewart preliminary hearing kicks off this morning in Ogden's 2nd District Court. Following a 7:45 a.m. Keep the Peace support rally, the three-day hearing is scheduled to begin at 8:30 a.m., in the "largest courtroom in Weber County."
The Standard-Examiner has been all over this story during the past couple of days:
- Stewart supporters to rally before preliminary hearing
- 17 witnesses planned for Matthew Stewart hearing
- Stewart preliminary hearing moves to bigger room
Update 10/31/12 7:52 p.m: Here's today's first post-day 1 preliminary hearing feedback, via the Help Matthew Stewart support site:
Update 11/1/12 7:30 a.m.: The Standard follows up yesterday's stories with four new post-Day One Tim Gurrister writeups:
- Prosecution paints picture of Stewart blazing away as officers retreated
- Francom was shot 6 times after running out of bullets
- Roy officer next to testify in Stewart prelim
- Only 8 protesters show up for Stewart rally
Curious new facts emerge from the testimony to the effect that officers believed that Stewart's "house was a “grow house” with no one living there, just visitors tending the marijuana plants growing in the basement," which seems to fly in the face of the earlier-reported and obvious fact that officers knew that Stewart resided at the residence.
The hearing resumes this morning at 8:30 a.m.